Led FixMyWard.org to win the runners-up position of the Social Media Excellence Award 2015 from the ICT Association of Kenya during the ICT Value Awards 2015. We were proud of the “Award of Excellence” category that placed our work alongside the respected organisation that is Kenya Red Cross Society.
Eng. Wainaina Mungai was a winner of the prestigious ICT Leadership Award 2015, which he received alongside industry giants such as the newly appointed Principal Secretary for ICT and Innovation, Mr. Victor Kyalo; CEO of mHealth Kenya, Dr. Cathy Mwangi; and Peter Mutunga of DHL Kenya.
CIO of the Year 2013 at the CIO100 Awards 2013 held in Kigali, Rwanda for leading the Royal Media Services team to win the Overall Winner Award in East Africa
- Best ICT Application in Broadcasting in 2012 at the Kenya ICT Excellence Awards Gala Dinner organized by the Computer Society of Kenya (CSK) on 21st November 2012
- Won the ICT Manager of the Year 2011 Award at the Kenya ICT Excellence Awards 2011
- CIO100 Awards 2011 Honoree for leading the Royal Media Services team to win the Networking Award and getting listed as a CIO100 company in East Africa
- Team leadership role in OKN Mobile which was nominated as a global finalist for the APC Hafkin Communication Prize 2004–2005
• Global Summit on Tech Policy Challenges, Tech Policy Lab, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
• Expert speaker, ICT Industry and Academia Forum, East Africa Communications Organisation (EACO) Assemblies, Kigali, Rwanda (June 2016) – www.eaco.int
• Delegate, Public Consultative Forum on the ICT Policy review at Laico Regency, Nairobi, August, 2016
• SIDA Fellowship to participate in the Stockholm Internet Forum 2015 in October 2015, in Stockholm, Sweden
• Highway Africa Fellowship to attend the ICT & Media training at Rhodes University, South Africa on Using New Media Tools in Journalism and Communication.
• Fellowship to the Workshop on Mobile Applications Development in East Africa on 5th to 6th October 2008 at Protea Hotel, Kampala, Uganda
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) Fellowship to attend the Third Preparatory Committee (PrepCom3) meeting of the WSIS between 18th and 25th September 2005.
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) Fellowship to attend the EnviroInfo Conference in Brno, Czech Republic between September 2005.
- Fellowship from the Government of Japan to be a panelist at the Tokyo Ubiquitous Network Society Conference, May 2005.
- IDRC/IISD Fellowship to participate in the Inception workshop for the Information Society and Sustainable Development: Next Generation Policy Directions Project in New Delhi, India, December 2004.
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) Fellowship to attend the Second Preparatory Committee (PrepCom2) meeting of the WSIS, February 2003